Monday, September 27, 2010

It's Pumpkin Time!

It's my favorite time of year around here! We made pumpkin playdough and used little twigs and evergreen to decorate our little balls of fun. You can find the recipe here from an earlier post. We added orange food coloring, nutmeg, and cinnamon.


I found a good lesson plan on pumpkin life cycles over at Montessori Mom that went along nicely with our book.


 We read The Pumpkin Book, an educational story about the life cycle and origins of pumpkins, by Gail Gibbons.  You can also find a fun paper plate life cycle activity at My Montessori Journey.

It's also nice when you can find a garden or pumpkin patch where the pumpkins are still attached to the vine to get the full effect of the cycle.
-----------------------------------
Reposted from 2010

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

oo very fun! I need to make up a new batch of playdough! We have a bunch of pumpkin patches around our house.. can't wait to go out to one soon :-)

Elise said...

That playdough sounds scrumptious. I need to make some sweet smelling playdough, I think my children would really enjoy it.

RedTedArt said...

What super cute playdough pumkins!! And love the whole "cycle" idea. Tried to grow pumpkins, but no luck...

Maggy
Kids Get Crafty
Red Ted Art

Brimful Curiosities said...

The Pumpkin Book looks like one we need to read. Great pumpkin post!

RedTedArt said...

PS Thank you so much for linking up to Kids Get Crafty! Much appreciated!!

Maggy

Mozer said...

Hmm, I just might have to whip up a batch of that playdough! We still need to make it to the pumpkin patch this year. We'll see. :)

Confessions Of A Homeschooler said...

Hi! Thanks for linking up!

Unknown said...

What fun! I love the patch picture.


Please stop by and link this activity to Read.Explore.Learn on my blog.

amandab said...

I love pumpkins and love that it seems to be such a big part of the American Fall. We don't have such a strong association with them here, and I wish Princess would eat them some other way than just roasted!

Deb Chitwood said...

Great pumpkin ideas! The playdough pumpkins are so cute - and it's great to add information about the life cycle of a pumpkin at the same time!

http://LivingMontessoriNow.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails