Monday, May 31, 2010

An Exercise in Butter Making!

It took us about 20 minutes of shaking it up, down, and all around to turn heavy whipping cream into whipped cream and then another 10 minutes to turn it into butter. The girls almost lost interest half way through, but I was determined that we would have butter on our bread for breakfast.....and we did!

On the right you have the whipped cream or clotted cream, on the left you have the butter, and up front you have our homemade strawberry jam from our visit to the strawberry patch, yum!
  This is what it looked like after 10 minutes.
 This is what it looked like after 15 minutes....we have whipped cream.
 And now we have butter around 20 minutes. (Sort of like the curds separating from the way.)
 The girls were so surprised to see what we could make with heavy whipping cream.  The fun really starts to happen between 10 and 20 minutes of shaking as shown above.  I appreciate Counting Coconuts for posting about her extreme butter making experience a few months ago found here.
Happy Memorial Day!

9 comments:

Sippy Cup Central said...

I forgot to mention that Olive picked the lovely lemon verbena for our table setting.

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Very Fun! I think we'd have to pass it along or roll it in a jar like I used to do when I was in kindergarten-- otherwise my arms might fall off from all that shaking!! We'll be adding this to our list of fun things to do this summer -- thanks so much for sharing : )

fondly,
pink and green mama
MaryLea

Confessions Of A Homeschooler said...

Hi! Glad you liked the homemade butter! We just made homemade jam for the first time too! It was so good, too bad we don't have any homemade butter to go with it LOL!

Michelle - Blessed Mom of 5 said...

Homemade butter is the best! We make most of our own butter also and we have found that letting the cream come to room temp first helps it turn to butter quicker (we usually do it in the mixer or food processor and then it goes really fast)!

Jolanthe said...

We made homemade butter the shaken way one time...and then the next time let our bosch do all the hard work {grins}. :)

Did you make freezer jam or regular? We ended up picking 37 pounds of strawberries...oops. :) But LOVE the jam {yum}.

Thanks for sharing your link with me.

Sippy Cup Central said...

I know what you mean, my girls picked 21 pounds, but 37 wow. (You can make the baked oatmeal and freeze it) They started to get soggy really fast so I made freezer jam with the recipe from Sure-jell low sugar, but usually I "can" jam as it makes a nice gift and there's only so much one can eat.

Michelle thanks for the tip.
MaryLea- I think the roll would be a good idea.

Next time we may use the mixer, but I wanted to girls to see how hard people had to work for their food prior to electricity and such.

Carolyn said...

Tell Olive and Jem that I used to have to sit with a churn full of milk from the cow and push the dasher up and down for forever to get butter for my mom. One of my farm chores. If you wanted butter-milk, you stopped dashing before it collected into a ball of butter. I need to find you an old wooden butter mold like we had.

Counting Coconuts said...

What fun, right? And nothing like homemade butter! Thanks so much for the link back, too. :)

*hugs*
Mari-Ann
Counting Coconuts

Gail said...

I just found your blog--so glad I did. Love it:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails