Saturday, January 30, 2010

A "Real" Mom

It's a rainy day here and I had a flashback to the first time I felt like a "real" mom. We were four months into the year 2005, my first born was only 4 1/2 months old, and we were stuck in Los Angeles traffic.  I could not reach her to comfort her, and the more I giggled her car seat the more she cried. I tried the pacifier with no luck and I remember wishing I could crawl into the back seat and nurse, but there was nowhere to pull over.  I felt helpless.  I turned on some music and it only made things worse, but as I talked to my little baby she started to listen, and then I started to sing. I sang every song I knew as a new mommy, that only took about five minutes.  I stopped, there was no crying, no tears, nothing, I was alarmed, then I turned around to find my precious child fast asleep. This was the first time I felt like a REAL Mom.

That little baby is now five years old. She can now serenade the entire family with the songs I sang to her as a baby. Life is a miracle and love is a very precious thing.

Do you remember the first time you felt like a "real" mom?

2 comments:

Counting Coconuts said...

What a sweet post! My son is almost 3 years old and your writing brought me back to those early days when I was still finding my mommy footing. Seems like ages ago, doesn't it?!
Thanks for sharing this!

Sippy Cup Central said...

Thanks for your comment. You have a lovely blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails