Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Zydeco Music Review with a taste of New Orleans

If you ever want to take a vacation with out leaving the US, just visit New Orleans! There is so much more than just crazy Bourbon street. You have the unique flavors of food, History, architecture, and music all rolled into one amazing place. It's so different from any other city in the US....it's like the openness of Miami, the look of Savannah, with a Caribbean flare.

The girls and I had the opportunity to hear Terrance Simien and the Zydeco Experience in concert a few weeks ago. In all honesty, I did not know what to expect. I had heard of Creole before, but never Zydeco music. The concert was fantastic....the sounds of the accordion and frottoir (rubboard) are not easily forgotten. Jem walked away singing and rubbing her belly like a rubboard, while Olive clutched the Mardi Gras beads that were flung to her during the interactive show.

Terrance Simien, a Grammy award winner, told a tale of his people, introducing us to Louisiana Creole culture and the History of Zydeco. I was so excited when we were given the opportunity to review his CD, Creole for Kidz, especially since the girls were talking about being on stage and playing the washboard for days after the concert.

The 10 track CD is one my girls really enjoy listening too and so do I. Their favorite song is "Creole Mardi Gras Run," track #3.  This CD is mix of Zydeco music, Louisiana history, and Creole heritage set to music.  If you have seen the new Disney movie Princess and The Frog, then you have heard Zydeco music. The song "Gonna Take You There" was inspired by an original Zydeco song by Terrance Simien.

Click here  to read more about Terrance Simien and how you can purchase his CD's.


I hope you get the chance to visit New Orleans because it's a fun experience....I sure enjoyed my first trip to the city.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Have missed your blog. My e-mail is now up and running again thanks to Brian!

That was very exciting about Jem and Olive getting to be on stage with the Zydeco group. Their bawbaw loves zydeco.

The pink blooms belong to the red bud tree. It comes up wild all over the south and I have one in my backyard.

Love, Mom 2

Related Posts with Thumbnails