Friday, April 16, 2010

Importance of BLOCKS

Jem and Olive love playing with building blocks, not just square ones, but all sizes. Blocks are great educational toys because they allow your child to develop several important skills.
  • Creative thinking
  • Fine motor skills
  • Reading and math skills
  • Strategy development
  • Social skills 
  • Problem Solving
My girls love making patterns with their blocks.  Little did I know that this will help with reading and math skills.  In fact, a study in the October 2007 issue of Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine reported that children who play with blocks average 15% higher on reading scores later in life.

4 comments:

The Activity Mom said...

Wow! I've never heard that statistic. Very cool!

Sippy Cup Central said...

I know, something so simple, but it's a great activity for kids. Thanks.

Counting Coconuts said...

Makes sense to me! We have lots of blocks in our house -- so much fun!

Carolyn said...

I'm impressed she made such a tall stack without them falling over. Those look like the blocks Buzz and his brother used to play with.

Love, Mom

Related Posts with Thumbnails